Studio Scenes: Painting a Great Horned Owl

Welcome to the Studio!

A couple of days ago, my neighbor came over the hill to visit (we live in the mountains). When he saw me painting in the studio, he asked me if I could paint a Great Horned Owl for him. He told me that many years ago before I lived here, he had seen one of these giant birds up close in the old oak tree just outside the house. "Actually," he added, "I had dreamed about the owl in the tree the night before I saw it...."


This is the painting I made for him.


 Here is a little creative process.  First, I located a good, clear picture of this grand bird.


As usual, I started with the black gesso background...


I used my standard palette...buff white, yellow ochre, mars black, and burnt umber, raw sienna and titanium white.



I rough sketched the owl's form with white pencil and began to add layers of color and shade to create feathers...





I paid particular attention to the face, starting dark and then adding the light...



I built layers of paint, adding to different areas as the painting progressed.



Finally, I used the white and black to add depth, highlight, and glorious detail.


And so, the Great Horned Owl has returned to our mountain!


 I had such a fun time creating this commissioned art piece, that I've decided to open the doors to any customers who would like to have a portrait painted of their beloved animal companion, pet, fur baby, and totem animal.  Email me at carrie@caramiabella.com for details, or visit my Boutique by clicking below....


Be sure to visit every Tuesday and Friday for more art and inspiration from the studio...
 Wishing you an inspired and creative weekend!

...Carrie...

+

Comments

Netty said…
Loving your wonderful owl. I did a an Eagle owl for one of my drawings for Paint Party Friday but nowhere near as beautiful as your owl. Annette x
miriam miller said…
I love owls, they are many pieces of my work, looks great. Thanks for all the steps how too..
WrightStuff said…
What a wonderful piece and I just love that your neighbour had dreamt about it. Thank you so much for sharing your process too.
Your owl is fantastic ~ love your art style ~ divine! ~ thanks, namaste, ^_^
Cameron said…
Doing commission work is always so satisfying! I bet your neighbor was thrilled with this guy! He turned out beautifully!
Victoria said…
Such a powerful and bewildering piece Carrie..gorgeous soulful creature..strong presence too..magical! Shine on..fabulous!
Victoria
minnemie said…
Beautiful! i love those eyes...
Giggles said…
So impressive, a really wonderful owl! You are so talented!The painting is better than the snap shot!! Thanks for sharing your process.... I have some black gesso I haven't tried yet! Very inspirational!

Hugs Giggles
priti.lisa said…
Hi Carrie.
I lived seeing your process...you are one of my most favorite artists...beautiful work!
♥♥♥
carlarey said…
This is so beautiful! You are really a gifted painter.

We have owls on our hill and I get such a thrill every time I hear them calling in the night.
Susan said…
We have a pair of these nesting behind us. You have done a wonderful job catching their grandeur. I really appreciate your sharing the process. It is very helpful for those of us just starting on this journey.
Daniele Valois said…
gorgeous and thank you for showing your process!
kristin maynes said…
Thank you for sharing your process. It's a beautiful piece and a wonderful story. How exciting to be part of something that was so meaningful to your neighbor. Well done my friend!
Piarom said…
Wonderful to see your progress in this piece and how amazing it turned out! And so heartwarming that you paint it for your neighbour and that she meant so much to him ;)

Popular Posts