Finding Inspiration: A Secret Gallery in the Cemetery


Since I was young, I would escape to the cemeteries to be alone, strolling around searching for art and inspiration.  I once studied tombstone art in a college art history class and gained a greater appreciation for the stunning symbolism of the sculptures.




Cemeteries are secret galleries of fine art sculpture, only these galleries are free and have no crowds!



I am amazed that people don't spend more time in these hidden parks and galleries!  In the past tombstones were made as benches for people to gather around their loved ones' graves, singing and making music and telling stories.  They were lush gardens and peaceful groves (I've toured cemeteries full of heirloom roses no longer found elsewhere).  Look at the beautiful Dia de los Muertos Festival in Mexico...honoring ancestors, family unity, and our connection to those in the afterlife.


Cemeteries should be full of joyful celebration, but sadly most fear death and the loss of their loved ones...they think that death is the end.  In truth we all connect in unity after we pass on from the physical plane.  Knowledge of our connection to this One Creative Source gives great peace to the hearts of the grieving, and shatters the negative associations about death.


On this particular evening, I strolled through the cemetery neighboring my father's home, savoring the setting sun and symbolism scattered throughout the grounds.



I discovered peaceful poppies, guiding angels, ornate calligraphy and shadowy fancifulness, tiny creatures and beautiful maidens.  


My cemetery strolls are filled with a sense of peace...I feel grateful for this gift of life and appreciate the loved ones still present in my life.


Art can be found in the unexpected places we take for granted.
I search for inspiration everywhere, and I carry the magic of discovery with me to the studio.  


Where do you find inspiration?

.........................................................................

For more on Cemetery Art, visit these links:

The Association for Gravestone Studies
Gravestone Symbolism

........................................................................

Listening to Untitled by The Cure


My New Blog Schedule for 2012

Mondays:  Manifesting Success - business tips, networking, treasuries, inspiring people and articles
Wednesdays:  Finding Inspiration - travel, photography, inspirational quotes
Fridays: Scenes From the Studio - the week in review, creative projects, paintings, sketchbook scenes

Be sure to check it out!
Manifesting Success in 2012!

Popular Posts