Saying Goodbye to Dragons: A Creative Epiphany

I fulfilled a dream when I recently painted at the huge international festival of Miami Art Basel.  It felt as if I had attained the Holy Grail I had been working towards as an artist, and I was warmly welcomed by the art-goers, receiving the most wonderful feedback for my work that left me feeling encouraged, confident, and inspired.

Here I am, the happy painter:


But even with all of that positivity, my painting took a turn for the dark.  What I was left with was this horrible scary dragon swallowing the beautiful woman.  The painting sat alone for weeks because I wasn't yet ready to "face my dragon."

Here's my dragon sitting alone in the studio:


Then I came to a creative epiphany: its time to say goodbye to dragons!

If people want to see dragons, they can turn on the news.
Let my art be the antidote to the news!

I don't want to create art that is scary or disturbing...instead I want to create art that lifts people out of the depths and gives them hope and beauty to carry them through life.

The dragon will be painted over!

Here's the evolution of the painting thus far:

Initial outline of figures

Me painting at the first show at High Dive's Art Attack in Gainesville.
The beauty before the beast
At Miami Art Basel adding upside-down drips
"It looks like blood," people commented.
The beast is starting to surface.
And here's where I had my epiphany...

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Comments

Victoria said…
HI Carrie..powerful, beautiful and profound post! It is amazing when we receive sacred insights and fly with what feels divine within us...shine on! Wow..love seeing pictures of you painting..how exciting!Many congrats to you..wonderful! Thanks for sharing your journey and your artistic soul and your wisdom always! Beautiful picture of you at the end!
Hugs
Victoria

Popular Posts